Basic principles for successful feeding
Connolly's Red Mills have produced a useful guide to feeding horses. Aimed at horse owners who use Red Mills feeds, the 19 basic principles, below, are useful for everyone:
1. Select the Red Mills feed most suited to the age, workload and physical condition of the horse or pony.
2. Judge the quantity fed according to size, temperament and work required.
3. Feed little and often. Ideally, four feeds/day with the largest at night.
4. Feed at the same regular times each day.
5. Feed by weight, not volume. Compounds, especially cubes, are deceptively heavy.
6. Do not unbalance formulated compounds by adding further vitamin or mineral supplements, unless in individual cases on veterinary advice.
7. Feed plenty of clean, dust-free, well-seasoned roughage to maintain a healthy digestive tract.