A wonder of nature in Wicklow
Published 25/11/2015 | 02:30
An historic woodland estate that supplied oak for the English fleet, the Stadt House in Amsterdam, Westminster Hall, Trinity College and St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin is on the market.
In what is one of the most substantial farm sales in Ireland in recent years the 1,230ac Coollattin Estate in West Wicklow is to be sold by private treaty and selling agents, Savills are guiding the price at €6m or just over €4,800/ac.
Situated beside the village of Coollattin between the towns of Shillelagh, Tinahely and Carnew in West Wicklow the property includes a modest two storey dwelling, substantial forestry and 250ac of grazing and tillage ground. The extensive woodland part of the property consists of mature and semi-mature commercial hardwood and softwood while the more arable portion is made up of lowland-rich agricultural land.
It is also home to one of the best driven pheasant and duck shoots in Ireland with some wild deer also available.
The river Derry which meanders throughout the estate is part of an extensive natural water system that includes streams, a fish pond and duck ponds. The land undulates between 213ft and 700ft above sea level creating an ideal place for growing trees.
Battleships and barrels
Primarily an old oak estate, Coollattin is steeped in history. Records from 1224 show that timber from the place was used to build the English fleet and part of the estate was declared a Royal Forest. In 1606 there was enough oak standing in Coollattin to supply the English fleet for 20 years.
Timber from here was used in some of the most renowned buildings in Europe including the roof of Stadt House in Amsterdam, Westminster Hall in London, Lincoln's Inn in London, the Kings College Chapel in Cambridge as well as Trinity College and St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin.