‘Even the dead are not safe from this Government’ - Top ten quotes of #Budget2014
Published 16/10/2013 | 11:49
Reflecting on how events unfolded in the last 24 hours, a few interesting soundbites stood out above the rest.
1. Prior to the big reveal yesterday, former Big Brother star and 4fm DJ Ray Shah tweeted: “All the gardai in town, must be expecting Budget Day riots #budget2014”
2. Perhaps one of the more memorable comments of the day was posted by Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Leo Varadkar on Twitter yesterday: “Stuck in lift with half the Cabinet on Budget Day. Late for RTE. What are the chances? #Budget2014”
3. "The last six years has left both emotional and physical scars on this country," according to Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin on measures to deal with the housing crisis, including a package for Priory Hall.
4. Minister for Finance Michael Noonan channelled his literary side when claiming the Budget could have been worse. "As WB Yeats said in Easter 1916, 'too long a sacrifice can make a stone of the heart'. I know that there is a view that the consolidation should go further, but people have already made many sacrifices," he said.
5. But Pearse Doherty, Sinn Fein finance spokesman, berated the Government nonetheless."You are pitting grandparent against grandchild to make pitiful savings and people can see through it.”
6. Irish blogger Colm Toibin summed up the Budget’s impact on the nation as follows: “Some of the items coming out of your pocket in #budget2014: 1) Your wallet.”
7. At a small demonstration outside Leinster House, activist Liam Mac an Bhaird also had something to say: "Enda has great hair, speaks great Irish, looks good for the cameras - but it's all a facade." -
9. In the aftermath discussions at the Dail today, Independent TD Donnelly said that the youth dole cut is a human rights issue and "women, non-whites, Muslims" would not be targeted in this way.
10. Sinn Fein TD Mary-Lou McDonald was also disparaging in her comments. "Spare me your waffle and your balony about your concern for young people," she told the Government.