A US man has won 7.2 million US dollars (£4.45 million) damages over claims he developed "popcorn lung," possibly from inhaling the artificial butter smell of the microwave popcorn he regularly ate.
Ken McClain, lawyer for Wayne Watson, said a federal jury granted the award in Denver yesterday against several food companies, after Mr Watson developed respiratory problems in 2007.
Mr Watson previously settled claims against the flavour developer FONA International Inc, formerly Flavours of North America Inc.
He argued the companies failed to warn consumers that inhaling the buttery aroma could put them at risk of lung injury.
Defence lawyers had argued Mr Watson's health problems stemmed not from popcorn but from his years of working with carpet-cleaning chemicals.