Clinton home after clot treatment
Published 02/01/2013 | 20:10
Mrs Clinton's medical team advised her on Wednesday night that she was making good progress on all fronts and said they were confident she would make a full recovery, said the former first lady's spokesman Philippe Reines.
Doctors had been treating Mrs Clinton, 65, with blood thinners to dissolve a clot in a vein that runs through the space between the brain and the skull behind the right ear.
"She's eager to get back to the office," Mr Reines said, adding that the secretary and her family were grateful for the excellent care she received at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
He said details of when she would return to work would be clarified in the coming days.
Mrs Clinton had been in the hospital since Sunday, when doctors discovered the clot on an MRI test during a follow-up exam stemming from concussion she suffered earlier in December. She fainted while at home battling a stomach virus, fell and struck her head.
"Grateful my Mom discharged from the hospital and is heading home," her daughter Chelsea said on Twitter. "Even more grateful her medical team (is) confident she'll make a full recovery."
Earlier, the State Department said Mrs Clinton had been speaking by telephone with staff in Washington and reviewing paperwork in hospital. "She's been quite active on the phone with all of us," said department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland.
Before being released from hospital, Mrs Clinton was photographed getting into a black van with her husband, former president Bill Clinton, Chelsea and a security contingent, to be taken elsewhere on the sprawling hospital campus. The last time Mrs Clinton had been seen publicly was on December 7.
Her doctors said on Monday that there was no neurological damage but that they planned to keep her in the hospital while they established the proper dose for the blood thinners. They said she had been in good spirits and was engaging with doctors, family and aides.