Friday 24 October 2014

232 die in Brazil nightclub blaze

Published 27/01/2013 | 13:55

A crowd stands outside the Kiss nightclub while a fire burns inside the club in Santa Maria city, Rio Grande do Sul state, Brazil (AP)
A man carries an injured victim of a fire at the Kiss club in Santa Maria city, Rio Grande do Sul state, Brazil (AP)

A total of 232 people have died after a blaze tore through a crowded nightclub in southern Brazil.

Witnesses said that a flare or firework lit by band members may have started the fire, leading to the air quickly filling with deadly smoke as panicked party-goers stampeded toward the exits.

Police Major Cleberson Braida Bastianello said officials counted 232 bodies brought for identification to a gymnasium in the city of Santa Maria, at the southern tip of Brazil near the borders with Argentina and Uruguay. Bastianello said that lowered the toll from 245 earlier believed killed.

Television images showed smoke pouring out of the Kiss nightclub as shirtless, young male partygoers joined firefighters in wielding axes and sledgehammers, pounding at windows and walls to break through to those trapped inside. Teenagers sprinted from the scene desperately trying to find help. Others carried injured and burned friends away in their arms.

"There was so much smoke and fire, it was complete panic and it took a long time for people to get out, there were so many dead," survivor Luana Santos Silva told the Globo TV network.

Silva added that firefighters and ambulances responded quickly after the fire broke out, but that it spread too fast inside the packed club for them to help.

Michele Pereira, another survivor, told the Folha de S. Paulo newspaper that she was near the stage and that the fire broke out after members of the band lit flares.

"The band that was onstage began to use flares and, suddenly, they stopped the show and pointed them upward. At that point the ceiling caught fire. It was really weak but in a matter of seconds it spread," Pereira said.

Most of the dead apparently suffocated, according to Dr Paulo Afonso Beltrame, a professor at the medical school of the Federal University of Santa Maria who raced to the city's Caridade Hospital to help victims.

He said survivors, police and firefighters told him a flare set by a band member set the ceiling's soundproofing ablaze. "Large amounts of toxic smoke quickly filled the room and I would say that at least 90% of the victims died of asphyxiation," Beltrame said.

Press Association

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in this section