Redknapp: Give Odemwingie a break
Published 01/02/2013 | 15:45
QPR manager Harry Redknapp hopes Peter Odemwingie is allowed to get on with his West Brom career after the transfer debacle that rocked deadline day.
The 31-year-old's failed move to west London grabbed many of the headlines. Odemwingie has made no secret in recent weeks of his desire to leave West Brom and it appeared he would get his wish when he arrived at Loftus Road. However, Albion released a statement saying the Nigerian was there without permission and a deal never materialised.
"This deal had been dragging on for about three weeks," Redknapp said. "Peter Odemwingie was a player we had been trying to sign for several weeks. He felt a deal was done but it wasn't done between the two clubs. There were obviously one or two sticking points."
Redknapp continued: "He travelled down and just wanted to be on the premises to get the deal done. Unfortunately, he pulled up outside the ground and the cameras were there.
"He wasn't the only player that turned up and didn't get a deal done. There were other players at football grounds and the deals didn't go through at the last minute, for whatever reasons.
"I just hope the boy is going to be okay because he is a good person and it was a mistake that has been made. Hopefully he can move on from that."
That looks unlikely at The Hawthorns after Albion chairman Jeremy Peace accused Odemwingie of acting "wholly unprofessionally".
The player is not being considered for Sunday's home match against Tottenham, but Redknapp said: "Let's hope people give him an opportunity now just to move on and get on with his life.
"Show me someone that hasn't made a mistake in their life and I will show you a liar. Everybody makes mistakes - much bigger mistakes than he's made. There are people playing football that have made massive mistakes in their lives and they're back playing football.
"The kid has made a mistake. Let's forget that now and move on and give the boy a chance. He is a good player and a good person."