Newcastle working on Sissoko deal
Published 24/01/2013 | 10:35
Newcastle were closing in on another potential signing on Thursday as they edged towards a deal to land Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko.
Press Association Sport understands the Magpies are hopeful of clinching an agreement for the 23-year-old Frenchman after already signing compatriots Mathieu Debuchy, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Yoan Gouffran this month.
However, it remains to be seen whether Sissoko would arrive on Tyneside before the end of the winter transfer, or sign a pre-contract agreement which would see him join formally during the summer.
Newcastle have received encouragement from the player, who has indicated his interest in heading for St James' Park.
Sissoko told L'Equipe: "This is a club that attracts me. I have confidence in his group [of players] over what they did last season. In addition, the leaders have invested a lot in quality French players. They will rise in the second half of the season. All these French [players], it is reassuring. I know them well and it will facilitate my integration "
The Magpies are also pressing ahead with their move for Nancy's 20-year-old full-back Massadio Haidara as manager Alan Pardew attempts to boost his squad further for a tense fight against relegation.
Meanwhile, skipper Fabricio Coloccini reported to the training ground on Thursday morning amid speculation that he has told the club he will not play for them again.
The 31-year-old Argentina international's representatives met officials earlier this week to discuss his desire to return to South America because of personal problems.
Pardew is understandably keen to retain the services of one of his most dependable players and has resisted attempts by Argentinian club San Lorenzo to prise him from Newcastle's grasp.
However, the matter remains unresolved and efforts to find a solution are ongoing.