Hughes remains bullish on future
Published 16/11/2012 | 16:58
Mark Hughes emerged from a barrage of questions about his future on Friday to insist he is still the right man to turn things around at QPR.
Hughes' men will try to secure their first Barclays Premier League win of the season at the 12th attempt on Saturday when they welcome Southampton to Loftus Road.
Tony Fernandes claimed on Twitter last week that QPR "must win" the six-pointer against the south-coast club, who are one point above rock-bottom Rangers. But Hughes is adamant that he can drag the west Londoners away from the foot of the table. "My future doesn't hinge on this match," Hughes told a press conference.
"People shouldn't under-estimate the changes that have gone on at the club and I have been a big part of that. I have had great support from everyone. That doesn't just get swept aside because we are in a difficult situation.
"It is because of that work we have done before that sustains you and allows you time to get through this period. The club has moved forward in a massive way since I came in the door through the work I and my staff have done. Everyone is pulling together to take this club forward."
Hughes brushed off claims that Fernandes' tweet amounted to an ultimatum.
"I don't think it has been reported in the right context," the Welshman said. "I don't think he was saying it is a must-win game."
The former Blackburn boss admits he did not expect QPR to start the season so badly, but he still thinks he is capable of delivering success.
"No-one anticipated this run would go on as long as this, but we are still in an early part of the season we still have a lot of games to play," Hughes added. "The only way we change (our bad run) is by winning games and that's our intention at the weekend."
Manchester United loanee Fabio is fit to make his return from a two-month hamstring injury lay-off, but Hughes could be without striker Bobby Zamora, who has a hip problem.
Press AssociationFollow @Independent_ie