Saturday 25 October 2014

AVB: No window arrivals for Spurs

Published 23/12/2012 | 13:30

Andre Villas-Boas, centre, does not expect to add to his squad during the January transfer window

Andre Villas-Boas insists he still has no plans to enter the transfer market next month despite seeing his team fail to break down a stubborn Stoke side at White Hart Lane.

Tottenham could have moved third in the table on Saturday with a win over the Potters, but they had to settle for a 0-0 draw thanks to a frustrating rearguard action from the visitors.

Villas-Boas said earlier this week that there was only a slim chance that he would make new additions to his squad in the January window, and he now appears to have ruled out signing anybody despite Saturday's stalemate. "I don't think we need to do anything," said the Portuguese.

"We have Clint (Dempsey) out. He is a massive player for us. He has had a big impact. He scored 17 goals last season so we have to count on him.

"He plays striker, plays wings and plays through the middle so he gives us that option.

"(Andros) Townsend the other day had a good game. Today we had opted for Sigurdsson coming in but I think we have options."

Villas-Boas is keen to offload some of his fringe players next month, with Carlo Cudicini, Heurelho Gomes, David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas and Danny Rose all potentially heading for the exit.

Another player who may be on the move is Tottenham goalkeeper Brad Friedel. The 41-year-old, who has been displaced by Hugo Lloris as Spurs' number one in recent weeks, has been linked with a return to former club Blackburn.

He tweeted: "I know there has been quite a but of speculation regarding my future. All will be revealed in next couple of days:). Happy Holidays!!!"

Press Association

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in this section