Probe as man shot in Co Kildare
Published 29/12/2012 | 09:30
A man shot dead in Co Kildare has been named locally as Edward Hamilton.
The 33-year-old was the second man killed in a shooting in the space of just 12 hours.
Gardai sealed off a house where the incident occurred in Kilmeague in Naas early on Saturday morning.
The victim was taken to Naas General Hospital with serious gunshot wounds where he was pronounced dead shortly after 6am.
Hours earlier, 35-year-old Christopher Warren was killed in Dublin.
He was a known criminal involved in burglary and had low-level links to crime and drugs gangs, believed to be factions from the Crumlin and Drimnagh areas.
In Kildare, local representatives said the community had been left reeling by the news of Mr Hamilton's death.
It is understood the victim was originally from the Carbury area, about 10 miles away from Kilmeague.
Councillor Paddy Kennedy said it was not the sort of incident people were used to hearing about in the area. "This kind of thing just doesn't happen around here. It's quite a sleepy place," Mr Kennedy said.
Gardai later confirmed a second man was being treated in hospital in connection with the same shooting incident. The 50-year-old sustained injuries to his hands, a spokesman said.