independent

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Mother killed in house fire tragedy

Gardai are investigating after a woman died in a house fire

A woman has died following a fire at her home in Co Carlow.

The 50-year-old, named locally as Margaret Doyle, was pulled from the house by her son early on Sunday morning.

James Doyle, 20, had returned home at around 4.30am when he found his mother in the house at Mountain View in Hacketstown.

Fine Gael TD Pat Deering, who serves the area, said it was a real Christmas tragedy and that the local community had been left reeling.

"We can't begin to imagine what her son must be going through," Mr Deering said.

"For something like this to happen the day before Christmas Eve is just terribly, terribly sad."

It is understood Ms Doyle and her son lived alone in the house. James made the discovery after returning home from a night out.

He pulled his mother from the house and she was later pronounced dead.

Mr Deering said it is believed Ms Doyle died from smoke inhalation.

Her body was taken to Waterford Regional Hospital where a post-mortem examination is expected to take place on Monday, when the cause of death will be confirmed officially.

Press Association

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Top Stories

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News